Business FAQs


Can I get a sign for my business?

Most permanent signs and some temporary signs are required to be permitted by the Planning Division.  Please visit the Sign Permit page for details on how to obtain a permit. 

In addition, commercial signs may also require a building permit. Please visit the Building Division’s page Commercial Signs or call 916.625.5120 for more information.

Do I need a fire inspection for my business?

Yes.  Please contact the Fire Marshall via the Fire Department at 916.625.5300. 

Fire Department

Do I need a license to work from home?

If you are an employee of a company and telecommute or occasionally work at home, you do not need a City of Rocklin business license.

If you have your own home-based business in Rocklin, you will need a:

  • City of Rocklin Business License
  • Home Business Permit

You may also need a:

  • Fictitious Business Name Statement
  • Seller’s Permit

For additional information, see the Business License section.

Do I need a permit to film in the city?

Yes. The Planning Division coordinates issuance of Film Permits using City of Rocklin property in the City of Rocklin.  Filming includes staging, shooting, filming, videotaping, photographing for commercial and non-theatrical productions.  Filming for the purposes of reporting on events or persons that are in the news for print publications, television, cable and other news media is excluded.

The City’s Municipal Code Chapter 12.32 governs Filming Activities in the City of Rocklin.

There is a film permit fee plus fees charged for actual costs incurred by the city for providing employees; equipment rental; facilities rental; utilities; and similar costs.

You can also contact the Placer-Lake Tahoe Film Office at 530.889.4091 for additional information.

Does Rocklin plan to annex additional land across State Highway 65?

No.  The current city boundaries are the planned permanent boundaries of the city.

How do I find out about bidding for city contracts?

Contact the City Clerk’s office for available city bid projects at 916.625.5564.

How do I transfer my business license to a new owner?

The new owner will need to obtain a new City of Rocklin business license.  See the Business License section for more information.

Once the sale of your business is complete, please notify the Finance and Budget Department that you are no longer doing business.  Contact them at 916.625.5020. 

How much does a business license cost?

The cost of the license is dependent on the type of business that you are operating.  

To determine the total cost of the business license application process, see the Business License section.

I want to hold an outdoor/open-air event… do I need a permit?

Yes.  All outdoor events or tent sales require the approval of a Special Event Use Permit.  The review process takes 4 to 5 weeks before approval.  To obtain a permit, contact the City of Rocklin Planning Division at 916.625.5160.

I want to locate my business or new development project in the City of Rocklin. Who should I call?

For a business interested in locating to the City, contact the City Manager’s office at 916.625.5583.  

For development projects, call the Planning Division at 916.625.5160.

I want to sell goods or services at an event in the city.

You will need a City of Rocklin business license.  See the Business License section for more information. 

Is there a comprehensive report for city development activity?

Yes. The Planning Division publishes semi-annually the Development Activity Report.  

Download the report online or get a hard copy by calling Economic and Community Development at 916.625.5160.  There is a small charge for this report.  

What business incentives are available?

The City of Rocklin has a Business Incentive Program structured to provide financial incentives through sales tax revenue sharing. 

The City of Rocklin also provides businesses and developers with assistance in the site location/development process including:

  • development fee estimates
  • development permit assistance
  • financing
  • labor training and assistance
  • utility rebates and incentives

See Business Incentives for details.

What is a conditional use permit?

A Conditional Use Permit (CUP) is needed when a proposed land use potentially can be located on a property, but further review is required by the City and requires approval from the Planning Commission. 

CUPs are required for uses that potentially could have an adverse impact on the existing neighborhood.  An example would be a senior assisted living facility being located adjacent to a single-family residential neighborhood.  Through the process of reviewing and approving a CUP, any impacts such as noise or traffic can be addressed and mitigated for.  Contact the Planning Division at 916.625.5160 for more information.

What is a certificate of occupancy?

A certificate of occupancy is an approval from the City of Rocklin’s Community Development Department stating that the building or tenant space is suitable to be occupied by the incoming tenant.  The City is checking to see if the use of the building will conform to Building and Zoning codes.

What is the projected build-out population of Rocklin?

Based on the current and future updated general plan it is estimated Rocklin’s build-out population will be 75,000-80,000 by the year 2025. 

What licenses do I need to start a business?

You must obtain a City of Rocklin business license if you are planning on opening a business located in the City of Rocklin, or doing business within the City’s limits.

Depending on your business, you may also need a:

  • fictitious business name statement
  • state seller’s permit
  • home business permit
  • certificate of occupancy
  • business license from another city or county

Find out what you need for your Business License, here

Where can I find information on Green Building Resources?

Visit the Build Green Institute section of the City’s website or contact the Building Division at 916.625.5120. 

Where can I get the forms necessary to open and operate my business in the City of Rocklin?

Go to the Forms Center and click on business and development-related forms.

Where do I apply for a business license? 

The Finance and Budget Department issues business licenses. Contact them at 916.625.5020.

Also see the Business License section for more information.

Who do I call for a Gas or Electric Outage and Emergency Reporting?

Call Pacific Gas & Electric at 800.743.5002 FREE for 24-hour outage notification.  See the utilities section for more information on this agency and others for water, waste water, cable, power, and telephone services.

Who provides water and wastewater services in Rocklin?

Water service is provided by the Placer County Water Agency (PCWA) at 530.823.4850.  

Wastewater (sewer) service is provided by the South Placer Municipal Utility District (SPMUD) at 916.786-8555.  See the utilities section for more information on these agencies and others for trash disposal, cable, power, and telephone services.