Commercial Tenant Improvements


Tenant Improvements

Before beginning any commercial tenant improvement project there are steps to take to make sure your project will be in compliance with State and local regulations regarding land and construction.

Step 1: Determine Special Development Conditions

Before applying for my building permit, is there any specific information I need to know from the City of Rocklin?
Before beginning the project, you should determine if the parcel is zoned for your desired use or if there are any special development conditions for your project. Please contact the Building Division at (916) 625-5120 for general information. In some cases, you may need to contact individual divisions. Once you have determined the applicable conditions for your project, you will need to determine if a building permit is required for your project.

Is a City of Rocklin Business license required for businesses in Rocklin?
Yes, all businesses in Rocklin should have a City of Rocklin Business license. Please contact the Finance Department for details on fees and to obtain an application.

Is a Certificate of Occupancy required for tenant improvements?
Yes, any substantial commercial or industrial tenant improvements, alterations or additions, or bona fide changes of occupancy to an existing structure, building, or tenant space as defined by Code, require a certificate of occupancy.  For additional Certificate of Occupancy questions, please contact the Building Division at (916) 625-5120.

If my tenant improvement changes the use or occupancy, do I need to contact the Building Division?
Yes. If your tenant improvement changes the use or occupancy, please contact the Building Division at (916) 625-5120 to determine if a new Certificate of Occupancy is required.

If my tenant improvement involves a food establishment or food handling (i.e. food preparation, prepackaged foods or food service), should I contact the Health Department?
Yes. In addition to determining if a building permit is required for your project, you should contact the Placer County Environmental Health Department to determine if a Health Department permit is required and the submittal requirements.

Are there any other agencies that I should contact for information pertaining to my project?
If applicable, you should contact the local utility companies for possible fees and requirements. Please see our Agency Directory for utility company and health department addresses and phone numbers.

Step 2: Determine If Building Permit Required

Do I need to apply for a building permit for commercial tenant improvement projects?
Most commercial tenant improvement projects require a permit. Please contact the Building Division to determine if a permit is required for your project or for any change in use or occupancy.

If a permit is required, what plans and forms do I need to submit to have a complete submittal?

The following forms are provided for your convenience. Original signatures are required to obtain a permit. Please do not fax. 

(Note: Some plans or calculations may not always be necessary. You should contact the Building Division for more specific information or if you have questions regarding your permit application.)

When I submit my plans and forms, will I need to pay a plan check fee deposit?
Yes, a plan check deposit will be required at the time of submittal for all commercial remodels, repairs and alterations.

With the submittal of the building permit application with the City, the following documents also need to be submitted to the water and sewer agencies:

Copies of these forms will also be available at the City of Rocklin Permit Center.

Where do I submit my forms and plans?
Building Division
Administration Building, 1st Floor
3970 Rocklin Road
Rocklin, CA 95677

What are the plan submittal hours?
Monday through Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. & 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Friday 8:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.

Step 3: Project Review

After I submit my plans what happens next?
At the time of submittal, the project will be assigned a plan check number that will be used to track the progress of the plans and plan review. The plans will then be distributed by Building staff to the necessary City Departments for their review and comment. Upon receipt of the plans, each department will assign a staff member to the project. 

Each department’s staff member will perform an independent review of your project and forward their comments to the person designated on the Project Contact Information Sheet. The contact person is responsible for addressing each department’s comments and resubmitting revised plans, as needed. This step will continue until each department’s comments have been adequately addressed.

Step 4: Project Approval

After the plans are approved by all required City departments, what is the next step?
Once the reviewing City of Rocklin departments and all other applicable agencies approve the project, they will notify the Building Division of their approval. At this time final fees due will be calculated and the project paperwork will be prepared for permit issuance.

Step 5: Fees And Permit Issuance

Once the plans are approved, will fees be due?
Yes. Once the plans are approved, any additional or outstanding permit fees that may apply to the project will need to be paid. Please visit our Commercial Fees page for details. Once all required fees are paid, the building permit will be issued.

Step 6: Building Inspections

Once my permit is issued and my construction begins, should I request inspections from the City of Rocklin Building Division?
Yes. Inspections that follow the issuance of the permit are provided to ensure that work completed on your project meets current building health and safety codes and standards. To learn how to schedule an inspection, please visit our Commercial Building Inspection page.

Step 7: Project Completion

Once my project passes its final inspection, is there anything else I need to do?
No. After your final inspection, your project will be considered complete.

Related Forms & Handouts

  •  Development Fee Schedule

You might also be interested in…

  • Accessibility for Businesses
  • Commercial Signs (Building Division Permitting Process)
  • Sign Permit (Planning Division Permitting Process)

Contact the Building Division at (916) 625-5120.

Please note: Every project is different and the process may vary slightly. The information provided is for general reference only.