Property Maintenance for Landlords
Landlords and tenants are responsible for maintaining safe, clean, and attractive properties.
What are My Responsibilities as a Landlord?
In most cases the property owner is financially responsible for all Code Compliance fines, even when if the violation is caused by the tenant.
- Landlord responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring the residence/unit is fit to live in (habitable)
- Clean and sanitary buildings
- Grounds which are free from debris, filth, rubbish, garbage, rodents and vermin
- Properly working plumbing (such as toilets, wash basins, tub/shower and hot/cold water), gas, heating, electrical systems and smoke detectors
- Proper connection to a sewage disposal system
- Trash receptacles in good working order
- Weather protection, including no broken doors or windows
- Floors, stairways, and railings in good repair
- Other repairs as determined by the rental agreement
Related Forms & Handouts