Fuel Reduction and Weed Control


Fire Fuel Reduction and Weed Control
Are You Rocklin Ready?

Open spaces are valued for their nature and beauty; if we choose to live within these areas we must do our part to protect our homes and our community.

Open spaces are valued for their nature and beauty; if we choose to live within these areas we must do our part to protect our homes and our community.


Learn How to Stay Rocklin Ready

We may not be able to stop wildfires, but, by planning and proper fuel management, we can mitigate the risk that they pose. Completing fuel reduction activities increases the chances that homes will survive a wildfire, and will reduce danger to firefighters, neighbors, and surrounding natural resources.

ZONE 1: 30 feet of Lean, Clean & Green

  • Remove all dead plants, grass and weeds.
  • Remove dead or dry leaves and pine needles from your yard, roof and rain gutters.
  • Keep tree branches 10 feet away from your chimney and other trees.

ZONE 2: 30–100 feet of Reduced Fuel

  • Cut or mow annual grass down to a maximum height of 4 inches.
  • Create horizontal spacing between shrubs and trees.
  • Create vertical spacing between grass, shrubs and trees.
  • 100′ radius to include neighboring property structures.

Vacant Parcels

What Is Weed Abatement?

In the City of Rocklin, all vacant parcels shall be abated (weeds cut down, trash removed, and/or firebreaks created to limit any potential fire hazard and allow access for fire fighting operations) on a year-round basis as per the City’s Vacant Parcel Standards.

In April of each year, the owners of vacant parcels are notified, by letter, of their responsibility to abate their property.  This letter includes the cost schedule and the Notice of Intent, requesting the vacant parcel owner to check which option they will use to abatement their property and then mail or fax to the Public Services Department.  In May, a second reminder letter is sent via certified mail to property owners that have not returned the Notice of Intent

What Happens If Weeds Are Not Taken Care Of?

By the end of May, all vacant parcels that do not comply with the Standards for Maintenance of Vacant Parcels are declared a nuisance by the City Council. These parcels will be abated by the weed control contractor hired by the City to perform the necessary weed abatement. When the contractor invoices the City for the abatement work, the City, in turn, invoices the property owner for the contractor’s fees plus a per-parcel administrative charge according to the cost schedule below.  If the property owner does not pay these fees, the City places a lien on the property until the fees are collected. 

Contact the City of Rocklin Public Services Division for more information on weed abatement of vacant lots.

Additional Resources

Rocklin residents and property owners are required to follow Rocklin Municipal Code 8.10 – 8-12 and related California Laws, which details the rules for property maintenance.