Custom Home
Single Family Residence

photo of Custom Home

Before beginning development on any new residential project there are steps to make sure your new home will be in compliance with State and local regulations regarding land and construction.


Step 1: Determine Special Development Conditions

Before applying for my building permit, is there any specific information I need to know from the City of Rocklin?

Before developing a parcel of land, you should determine if the parcel is zoned for your desired use or if there are any special development conditions for your project. Please contact the Building Division at (916) 625-5120 for general information. In some cases, you may need to contact individual divisions. In addition, you should also determine if there are any CC&Rs (Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions) or other deed restrictions for your subdivision and/or property. You may want to contact your homeowner’s association for more information. Once you have determined the applicable conditions for your project, you will need to determine if a building permit is required for your project.

Are there any other agencies that I need to contact for information pertaining to my project?

Yes. You will need to contact your local school district and utility companies for possible fees and requirements. Please see our Agency Directory for school district and utility company addresses and phone numbers.

Step 2: Determine If Building Permit Required

Do I need to apply for a building permit for my new home construction?

Yes, all new home construction requires a building permit. (Please note that independent retaining walls associated with your project may require a separate permit. Please contact the Building Division for further details.) Once building plans and plot plans are submitted, they are reviewed by staff to ensure that construction meets minimum life safety requirements and the project is in compliance with the City of Rocklin zoning ordinance and development standards.

For my new home construction, what plans and forms do I need to submit to have a complete submittal?

The following forms are provided for your convenience. Original signatures are required to obtain a permit. Please do not fax.

(Note: Some plans or calculations may not always be necessary. You should contact the Building Division for more specific information or if you have questions regarding your permit application.)

When I submit my plans and forms, will I need to pay a plan check fee deposit?

Yes. A plan check fee deposit will be due at the time of submittal. Please see the plan check deposit schedule below:

Plan Check Deposit Schedule

Where do I submit my forms and plans?

Building Division
Administration Building, 1st Floor
3970 Rocklin Road
Rocklin, CA 95677

Step 3: Project Review

After I submit my plans what happens next?

At the time of submittal, the project will be assigned a tracking number (plan check number) that will be used to track the progress of the plans and plan review. The plans will then be distributed by Building staff to the necessary City Departments for their review and comment. Upon receipt of the plans, each department will assign a staff member to the project. 

Each department’s staff member will perform an independent review of your project and forward their comments to the person designated on the Project Contact Information Sheet. The contact person is responsible for addressing each department’s comments and resubmitting revised plans, as needed. This step will continue until each department’s comments have been adequately addressed.

Step 4: Project Approval                                                                                                                                                                  

After the plans are approved by all required City departments, what is the next step?

Once the reviewing departments approve the project they will notify the Building Division of their approval. At this time final fees due will be calculated and the project paperwork will be prepared for permit issuance.

Step 5: Fees And Permit Issuance

Will I need to pay school district fees before my permit can be issued?
Yes. After the plan check has been completed, the Building Division will complete their portion of the Certificate of Compliance School District Development Fees form. The project contact person will then be asked to pick up the form at the Building Division. This form will need to be presented to the appropriate school district and any applicable school district fees will need to be paid. Proof of payment will need to be presented to the Building Division prior to issuance of the permit.

Once I pay the school district fees, will I need to pay fees to the City of Rocklin?

Yes. Once your plans are approved and proof of payment for school district fees is received by the Building Division, the project contact person, or authorized person, will need to pay any additional or outstanding permit fees that may apply to the project. Please visit our Fees page for complete details. Once all required fees are paid, the building permit will be issued.

Step 6: Building Inspections

Once my permit is issued and my construction begins, will I need to request inspections from the City of Rocklin Building Division?
Yes. Inspections that follow the issuance of the permit are provided to ensure that work completed on your project meets current building health and safety codes and standards. To learn how to schedule an inspection, please visit our Residential Building Inspection page.

Step 7: Project Completion

Once my project passes its final inspection, is there anything else I need to do?

No. After your final inspection, your project will be considered complete.

Related Forms & Handouts

You might also be interested in…

Please note: Every project is different and the process may vary slightly. The information provided is for general reference only.