Water Heater Replacement

photo of water tap

Before beginning your project, there are steps to take to make sure your project will be in compliance with State and local regulations regarding land and construction.

Step 1: Determine Special Development Conditions

Before determining if a building permit is required for my project, is there any specific information I need to know from the City of Rocklin?

Yes. You should determine if there are any special development conditions for your project. Please contact the Building Division at (916) 625-5120 for general information. In some cases, you may need to contact individual divisions. Once you have determined the applicable conditions for your project, you will need to determine if a building permit is required for your project.

Step 2: Determine If Building Permit Required

Is a building permit required to replace my storage tank water heater?

Yes, a building permit is required.

To apply for my permit, what do I need to submit to the Building Division?

The following forms are provided for your convenience. Original signatures are required to obtain a permit. Please do not fax. (Contact the Building Division if you have questions regarding your permit application.)

Visit www. Energy.Gov to download the CF-1R-Alt Certificate of Compliance: Residential Alterations Form

Where should I submit the forms?

Building Division
Administration Building, 1st Floor
3970 Rocklin Road
Rocklin, CA 95677

Step 3: Project Review/Project Approval

Are water heater replacement permits ever issued over-the-counter? 

Yes, storage tank water heater replacements are typically an over-the-counter permit.

Will I be asked to install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms in my home for a water heater replacement permit?

Yes. When the valuation of the water heater replacement permit exceeds $1,000, smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms shall be installed per California Residential Code Sections R314 and R315. Please see the Residential Smoke Alarms & Carbon Monoxide Alarms for more details.

Step 4: Fees and Permit Issuance

How much will my storage tank water heater replacement permit cost?

Typically these types of permits qualify for our minimum permit fee. Please see our Fees page for details.

Once I pay any applicable City of Rocklin building permit fees, will my permit be issued?

Yes. Once the plans are approved and all fees are paid, the building permit will be issued.

Step 5: Building Inspections

Once the permit is issued and my water heater is installed, will I need to request an inspection from the City of Rocklin Building Division?

Yes, you should call for a final inspection. Inspections that follow the issuance of the permit are provided to ensure that work completed on the project meets current building codes and standards. To learn how to schedule an inspection, please visit our Residential Building Inspection page.

Step 6: Project Completion

Once the project passes its final inspection, is there anything else that needs to be done?

No. After your project passes the final inspection, the project will be considered complete.

Related Forms, Links, and Handouts