Residential HVAC
(Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning Replacement)

photo of Residential HVAC louvered vent

Before beginning your project, there are steps to take to make sure your project will be in compliance with State and local regulations regarding land and construction.

Step 1: Determine Special Development Conditions

Before determining if a building permit is required for my project, is there any specific information I need to know from the City of Rocklin?

Yes. You should determine if there are any special development conditions for your project. Please contact the Building Division at (916) 625-5120 for general information. In some cases, you may need to contact individual divisions. In addition, you should also determine if there are any CC&Rs (Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions) or other deed restrictions for your subdivision and/or property. You may want to contact your homeowner’s association for more information. Once you have determined the applicable conditions for your project, you will need to determine if a building permit is required for your project.

Step 2: Determine If Building Permit Required

Is a building permit required to replace my HVAC system?

Yes, a building permit is required.

What forms do I need to submit for a HVAC replacement permit?

The following forms are provided for your convenience. Original signatures are required to obtain a permit. Please do not fax.

(Contact the Building Division if you have questions regarding your permit application.)

Forms to be submitted at permit application:

*Visit www.Energy.Gov to download the CF-1R-Alt Certificate of Compliance: Residential Alterations Form

Forms to be submitted at permit inspection:

  • Installation Certificate Form**
  • Certificate of Field Verification and Diagnostic Testing Form**

**Visit www.Energy.Gov to download the Installation Certificate Form and the Certificate of Field Verification and Diagnostic Testing Form

Where should I submit the forms?

Building Division
Administration Building, 1st Floor
3970 Rocklin Road
Rocklin, CA 95677

Step 3: Project Review/Project Approval

Are HVAC system replacement permits ever issued over-the-counter?

Yes, HVAC system replacements are typically an over-the-counter permit.

Will I be asked to install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms in my home for a HVAC system replacement permit?

Yes. When the valuation of the HVAC system replacement permit exceeds $1,000, smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms shall be installed per California Residential Code Sections R314 and R315. Please see the New Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Requirements Handout for more details.

Step 4: Fees and Permit Issuance

How much will my HVAC system replacement permit cost?

Typically these types of permits qualify for our minimum permit fee. Please see our Fees page for details.

Once I pay any applicable City of Rocklin building permit fees, will my permit be issued?

Yes. Once the plans are approved and all fees are paid, the building permit will be issued.

Step 5: Building Inspections

Once the permit is issued and my HVAC system is installed, will I need to request an inspection from the City of Rocklin Building Division?

Yes, you should call for a final inspection. Inspections that follow the issuance of the permit are provided to ensure that work completed on the project meets current building codes and standards. To learn how to schedule an inspection, please visit our Residential Building Inspection page.

Step 6: Project Completion

Once the project passes its final inspection, is there anything else that needs to be done?

No. After your project passes the final inspection, the project will be considered complete.

Related forms, links and handouts

Please note: Every project is different and the process may vary slightly. The information provided is for general reference only.