photo of siding with flowers in foreground

Before beginning your project, there are steps to take to make sure your project will be in compliance with State and local regulations regarding land and construction.

Step 1: Determine Special Development Conditions

Before determining if a building permit is required for my project, is there any specific information I need to know from the City of Rocklin?

Yes. You should determine if there are any special development conditions for your project. Please contact the Building Division at (916) 625-5120 for general information. In some cases, you may need to contact individual divisions. In addition, you should also determine if there are any CC&Rs (Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions) or other deed restrictions for your subdivision and/or property. You may want to contact your homeowner’s association for more information. Once you have determined the applicable conditions for your project, you will need to determine if a building permit is required for your project.

Step 2: Determine If Permit Is Required

Is a permit required to re-side a house?

Yes, a permit is required for re-siding a house.

What documents and forms do I need to submit to have a complete submittal?

The following forms are provided for your convenience. Original signatures are required to obtain a permit. Please do not fax.

(Contact the Building Division if you have questions regarding your permit application.)

Where should I submit the forms and plans?

Building Division
Administration Building, 1st Floor
3970 Rocklin Road
Rocklin, CA 95677

Step 3: Project Review/Project Approval

Are re-siding permits ever issued over-the-counter? 

Yes, most re-siding permits can be issued over-the-counter, if there is a plan checker available.

If a permit requires plan check and/or cannot be issued over the counter, is a deposit required?

Prior to May 1, 2011 a deposit will not be required. Effective May 1, 2011, a plan check deposit will be required at the time of submittal.

Plan Check Deposit Schedule

Will I be asked to install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms in my home for a re-siding permit?

Yes. When the valuation of the re-siding permit exceeds $1,000, smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms shall be installed per California Residential Code Sections R314 and R315. Please see the New Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Requirements Handout for more details.

Step 4: Fees & Permit Issuance

How much does a re-siding permit cost?

Re-siding permit fees are based on the project’s valuation. Please visit of Fees page for details or visit our on-line residential project fee estimator.

Once I pay any applicable City of Rocklin building permit fees, will my permit be issued?

Yes. Once the plans are approved and all fees are paid, the building permit will be issued.

Step 5: Building Inspections

Once the permit is issued and my water heater is installed, will I need to request an inspection from the City of Rocklin Building Division?

Yes, you should call for inspections. Inspections that follow the issuance of the permit are provided to ensure that work completed on the project meets current building codes and standards. To learn how to schedule an inspection, please visit our page.

Step 6: Project Completion

Once the project passes its final inspection, is there anything else that needs to be done?

No. After your project passes the final inspection, the project will be considered complete.

Related Forms, Links, and Handouts

Please note: Every project is different and the process may vary slightly. The information provided is for general reference only.