General Residential Additions & Remodels
(adding livable square footage)

photo of large home

(For remodel projects that are not adding livable square footage, please visit our General Remodels page.) Before beginning your project, there are steps to take to make sure your project will be in compliance with State and local regulations regarding land and construction.

Step 1: Determine Special Development Conditions

Before determining if a building permit is required for my project, is there any specific information I need to know from the City of Rocklin?

Yes. You should determine if there are any special development conditions for your project. Please contact the Building Division at (916) 625-5120 for general information. In some cases, you may need to contact individual divisions. In addition, you should also determine if there are any CC&Rs (Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions) or other deed restrictions for your subdivision and/or property. You may want to contact your homeowner’s association for more information. Once you have determined the applicable conditions for your project, you will need to determine if a building permit is required for your project.

Are there any other agencies that I should contact for information pertaining to my project?

Yes. You should contact your local school district and utility companies for possible fees and requirements. Please see our Agency Directory for school district and utility company addresses and phone numbers.

Step 2: Determine if a Building Permit is Required

Is a permit required for general residential additions or remodels that add livable square footage?

Yes. A permit is required for general residential additions or remodels that add livable square footage. (If your project is for a residential remodel that does not add livable square footage, please visit our General Remodel page for thesteps to take to make sure your project will be in compliance with State and local regulations regarding land and construction.)

What plans and forms do I need to submit to have a complete submittal?
The following forms are provided for your convenience. Original signatures are required to obtain a permit. Please do not fax. 

(Note: Some plans or calculations may not always be necessary. You should contact the Building Division for more specific information or if you have questions regarding your permit application.)

When the plans and forms are submitted, will I be required to pay a plan check deposit? 

Prior to May 1, 2011 a deposit will not be required. Effective May 1, 2011, a plan check deposit will be required at the time of submittal.

Plan Check Deposit Schedule

Where should I submit the forms and plans?

Building Division
Administration Building, 1st Floor
3970 Rocklin Road
Rocklin, CA 95677

Step 3: Project Review

After I submit my plans, what happens next?

At the time of submittal, the project will be assigned a tracking number (plan check number) that will be used to track the progress of the plans and plan review. The plans will then be distributed by Building staff to the necessary City Departments for their review and comment. Upon receipt of the plans, each department will assign a staff member to the project. 

Each department’s staff member will perform an independent review of the project and forward their comments to the person designated on the Project Contact Information Sheet. The contact person is responsible for addressing each department’s comments and resubmitting revised plans, as needed. This step will continue until each department’s comments have been adequately addressed.

Step 4: Project Approval

After the plans are approved by all required City departments, what is the next step?

Once the reviewing departments approve the project they will notify the Building Division of their approval. At this time final fees due will be calculated and the project paperwork will be prepared for issuance. Once the fees are calculated and the paperwork is ready, the project contact person will be notified.

Step 5: Fees and Permit Issuance

Will I need to pay school district fees before my permit can be issued?

Yes. After the plan check has been completed, the Building Division will complete their portion of the Certificate of Compliance School District Development Fees form. The project contact person will then be asked to pick up the form at the Building Division. This form will need to be presented to the appropriate school district and any applicable school district fees will need to be paid. Proof of payment will need to be presented to the Building Division prior to issuance of the permit. (Some projects adding livable square footage may be exempt from school district fees. Please contact your appropriate school district for details. Please see our Reference Directory for school district addresses and phone numbers.)

Once I pay the school district fees, will I need to pay fees to the City of Rocklin?

Yes. Once your plans are approved and proof of payment or exemption for school district fees is received by the Building Division, the project contact person, or authorized person, will need to pay any additional or outstanding permit fees that may apply to the project. Please visit our Fees page for complete details. Once all required fees are paid, the building permit will be issued. 

Step 6: Building Inspections

Once the permit is issued and construction begins, should I request inspections from the City of Rocklin Building Division?

Yes. Inspections that follow the issuance of the permit are provided to ensure that work completed on the project meets current building codes and standards. To learn how to schedule an inspection, please visit our Residential Building Inspection page.

Step 7: Project completion

Once the project passes its final inspection, is there anything else that needs to be done?

No. After your project passes the final inspection, the project will be considered complete. 

Related Forms, Links, and Handouts

Please note: Every project is different and the process may vary slightly. The information provided is for general reference only.