Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Inspections
If an inspection is requested prior to 6 a.m., am I guaranteed to get an inspection that same day?
On rare occasions, the Building Division experiences an inspection overload and some inspections may not be done on the day requested. On these occasions, the inspectors will make an effort to contact the permittee to notify them that their inspection will be scheduled for the following business day.
Can I request a specific time for my inspection?
The Building Division will try to honor requests for am inspections, but may not be able to honor pm inspections.
If I have to cancel an inspection, how much notice do I need to give?
Is there any information that I need to know prior to requesting an inspection?
- The project address should be visible from the street.
- All approved plans and the inspection card should be available on the job site at the time of the inspection.
- Any changes or revisions to the approved plans need to be reviewed and approved by the Building Division prior to further inspections.
Residential Inspections Only
- If no one will be present for an inspection that requires access into the backyard, please download the form. This form will need to be completed by the homeowner and posted on the front door or gate, the day of the inspection in addition to the approved set of plans and job card. Please note: All animals must be adequately confined or restrained.
- A person 18 years or older needs to be present for inspections inside a home or garage.
What time will the inspector arrive for the inspection?
Applicants can visit the City’s TRAKiT system on the day of the inspection after 9 a.m. to view the 3-hour building inspection window, or call the Building Department at (916) 625-5120 after 9 a.m.