Electrical Service Upgrade

photo of electric plug

Before beginning your project, there are steps to take to make sure your project will be in compliance with State and local regulations regarding land and construction.

Step 1: Determine Special Development Conditions

Before determining if a building permit is required for my project, is there any specific information I need to know from the City of Rocklin?

Yes. You should determine if there are any special development conditions for your project. Please contact the Building Division at (916) 625-5120 for general information. In some cases, you may need to contact individual divisions. Once you have determined the applicable conditions for your project, you will need to determine if a building permit is required for your project.

Before applying for the building permit, are there any other agencies that should also be contacted?

Yes. You should also contact PG&E for possible fees, requirements, and to coordinate having your service disconnected prior to the installation for the new electric panel and reconnection after the panel is installed. (Please remember that work cannot be started until the building permit is issued. See below for how to obtain a permit.)

Step 2: Determine if Building Permit Required

Is a permit required for an electrical service upgrade?

Yes, a permit is required for an electrical service upgrade.

What forms do I need to submit for a electrical service upgrade permit?

The following forms are provided for your convenience. Original signatures are required to obtain a permit. Please do not fax.

(Note: Some plans or calculations may not always be necessary. You should contact the Building Division for more specific information or if you have questions regarding your permit application.)

Where should I submit the forms?

Building Division
Administration Building, 1st Floor
3970 Rocklin Road
Rocklin, CA 95677

Step 3: Project Review/Project Approval

Are electrical service upgrade permits ever issued over-the-counter?

Yes, providing a plan checker is available, electrical service upgrades are typically an over-the-counter permit.

Will I be asked to install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms in my home for an electrical service upgrade permit?

Yes. When the valuation of the electrical service upgrade permit exceeds $1,000, smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms shall be installed per California Residential Code Sections R314 and R315. Please see the New Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Requirements Handout for more details.

Step 4: Fees and Permit Issuance

How much will my electrical service upgrade permit cost?

Typically these types of permits qualify for our minimum permit fee. Please see our Fees page for details.

Once I pay any applicable City of Rocklin building permit fees, will my permit be issued?

Yes. Once the plans are approved and all fees are paid, the building permit will be issued.

Step 5: Building Inspections

Once the permit is issued and my water heater is installed, will I need to request an inspection from the City of Rocklin Building Division?

Yes, you should call for a final inspection. Inspections that follow the issuance of the permit are provided to ensure that work completed on the project meets current building codes and standards. To learn how to schedule an inspection, please visit our Residential Building Inspection page.

Step 6: Project Completion

Once the project passes its final inspection, is there anything else that needs to be done?

No. After your project passes the final inspection, the project will be considered complete.

Related Forms and Handouts

New Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Requirements Effective January 1, 2011