Business License FAQs
1. How do I submit my Business License Application?
We accept business licenses by mail or in person Monday through Thursday 8:00‐4:00 and Friday 8:00‐noon at 3970 Rocklin Road – first floor. Fees can be paid by check or money order if mailed, or by check, cash, VISA or Master Card if paid in person. You can mail your application to 3970 Rocklin Road Rocklin, CA 95677 Attn: Business Licenses.
2. What business category is my business?
Go to the Business Category Listing on the website. If your business is not specifically listed under Type of Business, your category will be “Other Businesses”. This includes, but is not limited to, retail, restaurants, home‐based consultants, internet businesses, and house cleaning.
3. Do I need a Certificate of Occupancy?
If your principal place of business is in the City of Rocklin in a commercial building, the building is required to have a Certificate of Occupancy. To verify a Certificate of Occupancy’s status you can contact the Building Department at 916‐625‐5120.
4. Do I need a Home Business Permit?
If your principal place of business is in the City of Rocklin, but in a home and/or apartment you will need to complete a Home Business Permit. If you are renting and are not the homeowner, you will need a letter from your owner/landlord verifying that they have given you permission to use the residence for your business.
5. What are the fees for obtaining a new business license?
- Application Fee: $14.00 (one time fee)
- Home Business Permit: $69.00 (if required)
- Business License Tax: See Business License Tax Tables located on back of Application form.
6. What other special fees may be charged for a business license?
- Update Fee: $5.00 (does not replace annual license fee)
- Updated Home Business Permit: $26.00
- Duplicate/Reprint License: $5.00
- Expedite License: $5.00
7. Which Business License Tax Table do I use?
If your business category is “Other Businesses”, you will use the Annual Gross Receipts Table. If your business category is one of the other categories such as Service or Contractor, you will use the table for that business category.
8. My business is either Massage or Physical Therapist, what documentation is required at the time of application?
If you are applying for a business license and your business is either Massage or Physical Therapist, you will need to provide a copy of your State of California License and/or Certification. If you do not have a CA MTO Certificate, you are required to apply for a City of Rocklin Massage License prior to applying for your business license. You can apply with Rocklin Police Department at 4080 Rocklin Road, Rocklin, CA 95677, phone number (916) 625‐5400.
9. If I need to make a change to my business license, what do I do?
If you have a renewal form, you can make the updates on the form (this includes changes to mailing address, name, phone number, etc.). If you are renewing your business license, there is no additional fee. If your business license is not due for renewal, there is a $5 update fee.
If you pay your license fees online, you are unable to make any updates online. You will need to submit the renewal form with the changes. Please note on the form that you “paid fees online, changes only”.
If you do not have a renewal form, you can print a Business License Application and submit it with your changes. Please check one of the boxes on the upper right hand side of the form indicating the reason for your change. If the change is not reflected there, note on the top of the form “update or changes”. If you are renewing your business license, there is no additional fee. If your business license is not due for renewal, there is a $5 update fee.
If you are making changes to a home business you will need to submit a Home Business Permit and mark it modified; along with the $26 fee.
10. If my business changes ownership, what do I do?
If your federal identification number or owner’s social security number remains the same, see question #9.
For example, if you are changing from a sole proprietor to a corporation, or if you have a partnership and a partner needs to be added or deleted. Please check the box on the upper right hand side of the form indicating “change of ownership. If you are renewing your business license, there is no additional fee. If your business license is not due for renewal, there is a $5 update fee.
If you are selling your business or the ownership involves a change in FID number or SS #, you will need to apply for a new business license, including all associated fees. The old business license will be closed.
11. If my business location changes, what do I do?
If your business is in a Rocklin commercial location, you will need to complete a Business License Application and submit it with a $5 Business License update fee.
Please check the box on the upper right hand side of the form indicating “change of location”.
If your business is in a Rocklin home and/or apartment, you will need to complete a new Business License Application and a new Home Business Permit application and submit them along with a $5 Business license update fee and a $26 modified Home Business Permit fee.
12. If my business name changes, what do I do?
Print out a Business License Application form and check the box in the upper right hand corner indicating “change of business name”. Submit the Business License Application form along with a $5 Business License update fee. If your business name change involves a change in FID number or SS #, you will need to apply for a new business license, including all associated fees. The old business license will be closed.
If your business is a home business, you will need to submit a Home Business Permit and mark it modified; along with the $26 fee. If it is time to renew your license you may make the name change to your renewal form for no additional update fee.
13. My business license expired; do I owe a penalty fee?
We allow a 30-day grace period from the business license expiration date to renew without penalty. After the 30-day grace period, there is a 10% penalty fee assessed for each month your license is delinquent up to a maximum penalty of 50%.
14. I have received my Business License Renewal, how do I calculate the amount due?
If your renewal form shows Rate Type: Gross Annual Receipts, you need to use the instructions in the lower left hand box to determine your business license tax due. Then complete lines 1 and 2 on the lower right side of the form. Incomplete forms will be returned.
All other rate types are a flat rate and have the amount due clearly printed on the form.
15. Can I renew my license online?
Yes. Go to our website at https://services.rocklin.ca.us/bldprime/ and follow the instructions using your renewal form. Your account number is your business license number and the online renewal pin # is located on the bottom, right hand corner of the form. We accept Visa and MasterCard.
16. I only conduct business online and do not have customers coming to my Rocklin home or office. Do I still need a business license?
17. My business address is in Rocklin, but I only do paperwork in my Rocklin location. All of my business is conducted in other cities and counties. Do I still need a business license?
18. My business is located in Rocklin, but I also conduct business in Roseville, Sacramento, and other surrounding cities. Do I need a business license for each city?
Your City of Rocklin business license allows you to conduct business in the City of Rocklin. Contact the other cities in question regarding their business license requirements.
19. Will I receive a business license renewal notice?
Yes. You should receive a renewal notice in the mail approximately 30 days before your expiration date. If you do not receive a renewal notice and your license is about to expire, please contact our office at (916) 625‐5020.
20. I am no longer doing business in the City of Rocklin and want to close my business license.
If you have received your renewal form there is a box in the upper, right section of the form where you can indicate that you are no longer doing business in the City. Insert the effective date and return to the address on the renewal form. If you do not have a renewal form, please contact our office at (916) 625‐5020
21. Do I need a business license if my business is Non‐Profit or Exempt?
Yes. You will need to file a Business License Application. You are required to submit a copy of your IRS form 501© or the IRS letter indicating your eligibility for nonprofit status under the applicable provision of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954. We will not accept a letter of State sales tax exemption as proof of nonprofit status.
The business license tax is waived, but we require a one‐time application fee of $14 and a Certificate of Occupancy (see Question #3) or a Home Business Permit (see Question #4). Non‐profit/Exempt business licenses are valid from the date of opening through December 31.
A renewal form will be mailed each year in November. The form is required to be signed and returned to verify the business is still operating. A new business license will be mailed upon receipt of the renewal form. No business license tax will be due for renewal.
22. What if I have received a business license renewal form and I no longer need a business license?
There is a box in the top right hand corner of the form, fill out the date closed, sign, and return the form to the City or call us at (916) 625‐5020.