April 12 City Council Meeting Recap
WPWMA Agreements, Weed Abatement and Homelessness Report


WPWMA Requests Negotiations For MRF Upgrades – Item 9

The Western Placer Waste Management Authority (WPWMA) is planning an upgrade and expansion of their materials recovery facility (MRF) to meet new state requirements for the reduction of organic waste placed into landfills.

As part of this process, WPWMA is working with their partners, including the City of Rocklin, the City of Lincoln, the City of Roseville, and Placer County to secure new waste management commitment agreements known as flow agreements. These agreements would help to finance the changes that will bring solid waste disposal at the MRF up to the standards set by state law.

WPWMA’s tipping fee structure is based on the amount of tonnage committed to being processed at the MRF. At this time, not all WPWMA member agencies have executed flow commitment agreements. Should any member agency not execute a flow commitment agreement or alter their collection programs, tipping fees will be affected.

Council agreed to have City staff enter into negotiations, which may see future WPWMA billing rates increase from the current $88/ton agreement.

Read more about the issue and listen to the conversation

Weed Abatement Set for Vacant Properties – Item 10

All vacant parcels in Rocklin are required to cut down weeds, remove trash and limit fire hazards and on a year-round basis per the City’s Standards for Maintenance of Vacant Parcels. In April of each year, the owners of vacant parcels are notified by letter of their responsibility to abate their property.

On Tuesday night, City Council formally approved a resolution for this process and authorized City staff to notify approximately 160 property owners. A public hearing will be held during the next City Council meeting to discuss objections property owners may have regarding the abatement.

By the end of May, all vacant parcels that do not comply with the standards for maintenance of vacant parcels are declared a nuisance by the City Council. These parcels will be abated by the weed control contractor hired by the City to perform the necessary weed abatement. When the contractor invoices the City for the abatement work, the City, in turn, invoices the property owner for the contractor’s fees plus a per-parcel administrative charge.

Read the City’s guide to when and why weed control happens and the methods by which they take place.

Placer County Regional Homelessness Task Force – Item 18

A Placer County representative presented a report on the recent efforts of a regional homelessness task force in the Placer County Region, covering a range of topics including prevention, crisis response, housing and supportive services, system integration and community engagement.

Read the Phase One report here, and find the video of the staff presentation here (item 18).


Find the full April 12 City Council Agenda and links to the discussion items here.